“RAD READING-January”

This month I read a book called Way of the Warrior Kid by Jocko Willink. This book is based on two very important characters which are uncle Jake and Marc. Marc is a ten year old kid who lives with his mom in California. Marc went to school one day and they were doing an activity in the gym. They were doing a pull-up,Push-up and sit-up challenge in the gym. They had to do as many of those things as they can in two minutes. Marc knew he could not do any pull ups. When the activity started Marc went to the back because he didn’t want to get embarrassed that he couldn’t do any pull ups. Everybody that was going up was doing at least ten pull ups. When the bully in the school Kenny Williamson’s went up to do pull ups he did eleven even though he was big for his age. Then someone yelled “he is not as strong as he looks” pg 10, Kenny looked into the crowd and suddenly looked at Marc. He pointed at Marc and said “what about him” Kenny said “he hasn’t gone yet.” The teacher looked at mark and told him to go up there and do pull ups so he did. When he got up there he looked at the pull up bar and wished he could just do one pull up. He grabbed the bar and tried pulling up but nothing happened and he tried pulling harder but nothing happened so he just gave up. That was the last day of school. Now that summer break started his mom told him that his uncle Jake a navy seal was going to stay for the whole summer, Marc got so excited. They went to the airport to go pick up uncle Jake. Uncle Jake was teaching him about how to be a way of a warrior kid throughout the summer. As in teaching him how to swim how to do pull ups how to practice his pull ups and how to practice his times tables. I liked this book because it’s about a boy who was getting bullied at school and stunk at gym class. But as the story moves on his uncle Jake comes and teaches him how to protect himself from the bullies and how to practice his times tables. I think this book can be motivating to some people that want to join the military. Because it’s of a kid who wants to be a way of a warrior kid and his uncle Jake is teaching him everything to be disciplined. Uncle Jake was a NAVY SEAL. My favorite character in this book is uncle Jake. Uncle Jake is my favorite character because he is brave. A quote from the story to prove this is “he fought in real wars. My mom says he was ‘on the front lines.’’’This quote means he will do anything that he is told even if he has to go to the front lines. My favorite quote from the book is “in the long run, the path of discipline will set you free.” This quote is meaningful to me because if you discipline yourself to focus on one thing which is the long run the discipline will set you free and have freedom to do that thing that you have been practicing. For example when Marc disciplines him self to work on his times tables and learns how to do pull ups he has freedom to do those things.